Top 5 Dairy to have in Your Fridge Now!
Dairy gets a bad rep and I don't know why! Only those who are lactose intolerant need to be concerned and even those person can have some of the picks on this list! It is a complete protein, filled with B-Vitmains, Vitamin D and A and of course the Calcium.
Bone health, weight loss conducive and versatile. Some of products below also provide probiotic benefits for a healthy gut, gastrointestinal thriving and immune system boosting bacteria. You can't go wrong. Just keep the fat in the dairy so you can absorb the fat-soluble vitamins A and D and with that the Calcium as well. NO fat-free dairy- that is a trick by food companies to fill your products with sugar to keep you hungry and eating more. Don't fall for it.
1. Lifeway Kefir- a tart and tangy that contains 12 live and active cultures. Pick the Lowfat Plain and add your own fruit or even better it has the perfect consistency to make a great smoothie- Add vegetables, fruit and avocado instead of the usual banana. (see my smoothie recipe). With less lactose, those intolerant can generally tolerate this product.
Another great pick: Wallaby Organic Kefir
2. Fage 2% Yogurt- Rich and creamy and can be a great breakfast or snack, particularly an evening snack that will not keep you up.- Add fruit or a sprinkle of nuts.
3. Whipped Cottage Cheese-Friendship has a good product- choose a 2-4% and NOT with the added fruit like pineapple- add your own fruit! The low-salt tastes like poison to stay clear of that! You can make it savory or sweet and can be a handy snack or ingredient in a veggie lasagna.
4. Good Old Fashioned Milk! Pick a 1% or 2%-Add to cereal- and to Oatmeal instead of water to keep you fuller longer. Warm it up before bed to calm and sooth you via the tryptophan in it- grandma was right about that. Almond Milk and Soy Milk are NOT better for you, they are just additional options.
5. Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese- savory, tasty and low in lactose -keep in your fridge and literally sprinkle on everything. From your veggies to your salads to your popcorn and the usual Parmigiano doused entrees. Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value has a surprising high quality product.